The Adoption Process- Foster2Adopt!
SPR does not operate the way a conventional shelter does. Our mission is to make the best match for both the dog/puppy and their potential adopter. Once an on-line application is submitted you will be contacted by an SPR team member to discuss the dog you’re applying for.
Sweet Paws Rescue offers a very unique adoption process called Foster2Adopt. Because most of our dogs are in fosters in the South, it makes it very difficult to meet the dog prior to adoption. This type of “sight unseen” adoption is very common in “shelterless rescue”. How Sweet Paws is different is that we allow a dog to go into a home for up to 2 weeks to assure it is the right placement. We do require the adoption fee at time of pick-up and will refund it during the first two weeks (minus $50) if the adoption does not work out. There are times where we have foster dogs up in Massachusetts that are available to meet prior to adoption, but we treat EVERY SINGLE ADOPTION as Foster2Adopt. We are committed to placing dogs with their forever family.
Once you are approved, we will connect you with your dog’s foster family in the South. You may email, call, Skype, whatever you’d like until your dog is ready for transport. At times, a dog may be able to get on transport within a week or two; sometimes it’s longer (depending on the health and age of the dog). You will be aware when your dog’s potential transport date is, and you will be contacted by a Sweet Paws Rescue team member the week of transport to arrange pick-up times and place. You will know as soon as possible if there are any changes in the transport dates of your dog. Please be aware that things can happen quickly and your dog may come up sooner or later than originally expected. Thank you for your patience!
If you have any specific questions please contact us here!
The $450 adoption fee includes:
- Age appropriate vaccinations (DHLPP- 7 way vaccine:Distemper/Hepatitis/Leptospirosis/Parainfluenza/Parvo vaccine & bordetella “kennel cough” vaccine)
- Rabies certificate and tag for puppies 12 weeks and older
- Parasite prevention treatments (de-worming & fecal tests)
- Heartworm testing for adult dogs
- Multiple general exam visits
- Health certificate required for transport
- 1 month heartworm preventative (complete at time of transport)
- 1 month flea/tick topical preventative (complete at time of transport)
- Transport through a MA USDA approved transport company
- 48 hour quarantine in a MA USDA approved ISO facility
- Recheck by MA vet post ISO
Fee may also cover the following including, but not limited to:
- Any required medications
- Heartworm treatment
- Skin scrape & treatment
- Limb amputation
- Visit(s) with a specialist (ex optometrist)
- Visit(s) with trainer